We have prepared a handy list of reponses to a number of questoins we are asked frequestly with regards to our teak garden furniture and wooden garden parasols. If for any reason you can't find the answer you are looking for, don't hestitate to get in touch!
What is teak?
- Teak (Tectona Grandis) is a hardwood with a high natural oil content making it an exceptionally good wood for outdoor garden furniture
Where does teak come from?
- Teak trees are native to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Burma and India.
Is our teak sustainable and eco friendly?
- Yes, our teak is sourced from sustainable Javanese plantations. Our teak is Indonesian Legal Wood accredited and has been subject to a timber legality process (SVLK). Our suppliers issue FLEGT certificates with every order we make. These supply chain measures ensure the legality and sustainability of our teak garden furniture. For more information, see here.
Are our teak products FSC accredited?
- The FSC accreditation is generally not applied in the teak garden furniture industry where the SVLK process, FLEGT certificate and Indonesian Legal Wood accreditation is to the forefront in the regulation of teak legality and sustainability. Whilst in our experience teak garden furniture retailers in the UK, and their suppliers, will not have an association with FSC, this does not cast doubt over their sustainable credentials. We have no doubt that our teak garden furniture is sustainable.
Can I keep my furniture outside all year?
- Your furniture can be left outside all year round as teak has a high natural oil content to help protect it from the elements. If it is possible to store your furniture undercover through the winter months this will be an advantage but it is not essential.
Do I need to treat my furniture?
- Treatment of your teak garden furniture is not essential. Without treatment, your teak garden furniture will naturally weather to a silvery grey tone. However, if you wish to maintain the golden colour of your teak then a high quality teak oil can be applied to help preserve this finish and maintain your garden furniture. Add link to teak oil https://www.ottena.co.uk/teak-sealer-2
Some small cracks have appeared in my teak garden furniture, should I be worried?
- As teak is a natural product minor cracks can appear (known as end grain checking) as a result in changes in humidity and temperature. This is a completely natural process and will not affect your furniture's strength in anyway.
The arms are loose on folding teak arm chairs, what can be done about it?
- With any of our furniture that folds, the brass fittings that hold these joints together can work lose. On a regular basis these joints need to be tightened with either a 4mm or 5mm allen key (dependent on the item of furniture you have) to prevent any unnecessary movement which could cause damage to your furniture.
How is the furniture built?
- All of our furniture is handcrafted by our manufacturers using traditional joinery methods and is hand finished. Our furniture is assembled with mortice and tenon joints that are held together with wooden dowels which provides a strong and sturdy assembly. Brass allen key bolts and fittings are used on all of our folding furniture and teak Adirondack chairs.
Is my furniture assembled?
- Any of our folding furniture comes fully assembled. Our Adirondack chairs, range of teak benches and certain teak garden tables will require some light assembly. Code labels on parts of your furniture will help you match the correct pieces together in the right place. If you are unsure or have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will be happy to help.
Where are the assembly instructions?
- Assembly instructions for our Adirondack chairs and range of garden benches can be found as an attachment in your order confirmation email, or here. If you are unsure please contact us at email@example.com and we can send these directly to you.
Can I view your products before ordering?
- We are an online retailer only, but if you require any other pictures or information about any of our products please do not hesitate to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist with your request.
What are the delivery times and costs?
- We offer free delivery to UK mainland addresses for orders over £99. Delivery to offshore locations such as Northern Ireland, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man and Scottish Isles etc. is generally charged at £60 but some exceptionally large and bulky orders may be subject to additional charges. Please email us for details.
- We always aim to have your order dispatched within 24 hours of receipt. We send all of our items on a next day delivery service. Usually, customers receive their goods within 48 hours of receipt, but due to external factors we cannot always guarantee this. Offshore orders and those to remote parts of Scotland will usually take longer but will usually be received within 5-7 working days.
How will I know when to expect my delivery?
- Once your order has been shipped you will receive a dispatch confirmation email from us. Within this email will be a link to track your order through the courier. If you still have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com and we will assist you with up to date delivery/tracking information where possible.
Can I request a specific delivery date?
- We send all our items on a next day service, so we can plan to have goods dispatched for delivery accordingly but due to external factors in the courier process we are unable to 100% guarantee a delivery date. We can arrange to dispatch your order on a requested day (Monday to Friday). Please be aware our couriers do not operate on Saturdays or Sundays. If you have any delivery requests please put these in the order comments box at the checkout or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to work with you and our couriers to deliver on a specified day.
Do you deliver to Northern Ireland and Offshore Islands?
- Yes – subject to additional delivery charges depending on location, size and weight of order.
Do I need to be at home to take delivery?
- No, if you are not going to be home to receive the delivery then please provide information as to where the items can be left safe, e.g. in a garage, in the back garden or with a neighbour. When placing your order please enter this information in the order comments box when at the checkout so we can forward this information to our couriers. Alternatively, please email us at email@example.com
Do you offer a guarantee on your products?
- We offer a 12 month warranty on our products, covering manufacturing or workmanship defects, subject to our terms and conditions. For more information please follow the link to our warranty section.
What methods of payment do you accept?
- We accept all major credit/debit cards (including American Express) and also PayPal. You can also pay by card over the phone or by bank transfer, if you would prefer to.
Do you offer trade discount?
- We are always delighted to work with other businesses. We do not have trade accounts or offer a fixed trade discount but we can often offer trade discounts on an ad hoc basis, depending on the size of the order. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your requirements and one of our team will be happy to assist.
Are the cushions machine washable?
- Yes. The covers can be unzipped and removed from the foam inner and washed by hand, preferably.
Are the cushions waterproof?
- Our cushions are manufactured from a shower proof material.
What wood is the parasol pole made from?
- The wood frame of our parasols is manufactured from poplar.
What UV rating are your parasols?
- The fabric used on our parasols has a UV rating of 15
Are your parasols waterproof?
- Our parasols are not fully waterproof but are made of a showerproof material. They will protect from very fine rainfall but we would recommend the parasols are not used in heavy rain to avoid unnecessary damage.
What size is the parasol pole?
- Our 1.8m square and 2m round parasols come with a 38mm diameter pole.
- Our 2.5m octagonal, 3.5m octagonal and 3m x 2m rectangular parasols come with a 48mm diameter pole.
How do your parasols raise and lower?
- Our parasols are raised and lowered on a corded pulley system. Once raised the parasol is held in place with a brass pin that fits through various height holes in the parasol pole depending on user requirements.
Can I use my parasol freestanding, without a table?
- We would strongly recommend to only use our parasols when fitted through a table top to give added support. If you wish to use your parasol freestanding then a much heavier base will be required. If unsure please seek professional advice.
Do I need to use a parasol base when using a parasol through a table top?
- We would strongly recommend to always use a compatible base with your parasol to give added support. For safety reasons, we advise that you always lower/remove your parasol in strong winds. Please note due to the construction of our pedestal tables, a base will not fit under the table. These tables have a parasol hole in the table top and lower frame to aid stability but please ensure it is lowered in strong winds.
Do you parasols tilt?
- All of our parasols are fixed and do not have a tilt facility.
My question is not on the list, how can I ask for help?
- If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact us by email at email@example.com or call us on 020 3322 9194. Our working hours are Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm when one of our friendly team will be able to help. Outside of these hours and on the weekend, our sales team monitor a live chat facility remotely and can usually assist with any queries you might have in a timely manner.